Cacio e Pepe Crackers
90g Parmesan cheese, cut into
145 g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
125grams butter, cold
1 tablespoon black peppercorns, roughly crushed
1/4 cup cold water or as required
1 egg, beaten for egg wash
Flaky salt to sprinkle
- Add the Parmesan cheese to a food processor. Blitz until coarsely
- Add the flour, salt, and pulse for 30-40 seconds until
- Add the butter and pepper and pulse until incorporated.
- Gradually add the butter while pulsing. The dough will start to
clump up around the blade.
- If the dough is looking a little dry and hasn’t come to together add a tablespoon of the cold water at a time until the dough comes together.
- Wrap the dough and chill for an at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface or between 2 sheets of
baking paper to 0.5 cm thick.
- Cut it into circles with a cookie cutter or rectangles with a knife to make the crackers.
- Place the crackers on a tray lined with baking paper and brush it with egg wash. Sprinkle a small pinch of salt flakes on top.
- Bake for 12-20 minutes or until a deep golden brown on top. NOTE: Cooking time will vary depending on your oven and the size of your crackers. I used a 2.5cm cutter scallop edge circle cutter.
- Allow to cool before serving and serve with your favourite Aperitivo beverage.